You are craving pizza. But you are gluten-free, or reducing your refined carbs, orlooking for an alternative to cauliflower crust, or looking for some extra protein…
Have you tried:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Italian herb mix (or use 1/2 tsp dried basil + 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning (or use 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/8 tsp onion powder)
- 1 small eggplant, very thinly sliced
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Sliced black olives
- Spinach-walnut pesto (recipe below)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Set eggplant slices in a single layer on a broiler pan. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 4-5 minutes on each side or until just starting to brown. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Thoroughly combine the beef, egg, herbs, and Adobo seasoning.
- Line a large pan with parchment paper (I used a round cake pan) or spray with olive oil. Pack the meat into the pan, making it slightly thicker at the outer edges to resemble a crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Spread with pesto and top with eggplant, olives, tomatoes and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes and serve, cut into wedges.
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted (I baked them at 350 in the toaster oven for a couple minutes until fragrant)
- 2 ½ Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
Throw that shit into a food processor or a Nutribullet!
Not feeling Italian? Substitute the Italian seasoning for some chili seasoning in the crust, and go Mexican with your toppings—salsa, diced green chilies, tomatoes. Throw an egg on that and call it breakfast.
OR, go Mediterranean—Top with eggplant, feta, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts and kalamata olives.