It is officially Fall! Time to shift from ice coffee and gazpacho to Pumpkin Spice Lattes and hearty soups. This recipe is awesome, (you might even say “soup-er”) and makes a hearty soup that is healthy, delicious and keeps well in the fridge.
- 2 bunches of carrots
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (low sodium if you choose)
- 1 large bulb of fennel
- 4 apples (peeled and cored)
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (optional)
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Olive oil (to drizzle)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F
- Chop the carrots and apples into slightly larger than bite sized pieces
- Cut the fennel into eighths
- Line a baking sheet (you may need two) with foil and lay the veggies and apples onto them and drizzle with olive oil
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the veggies are soft and slightly browned
- Take the veggies, along with the olive oil, and pour them into a large pot over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Add the broth and let simmer for about 15 minutes
- In a blender, blend the soup (you may have to do this in batches) until thick and creamy. If you like your soup thicker, use less broth. If you like it thinner, add more broth.
- Garnish with goat cheese, cilantro, walnuts, or even dried cranberries!